1. Who are you? What do you do? I am an author who primarily writes erotica.
2. What is your writing process? Do you follow a regular routine? I try to tune out the world and write at least 1000 words every day. I like to write in public places with headphones on. Coffee shops are typical, but they work so well. The activity of other people inspires me for some reason. I write on my laptop and usually have quiet instrumental music playing in my ears. I try to get all of my writing down before noon so I can focus on other things the rest of the day.
3. What are the most important elements of good writing? According to you, what tools are must-haves for writers? I think the most important element is entertainment value (assuming you are reading for entertainment). Tools: a sense of humor and the ability to look at a situation/person/issue from many points of view. Basic grammar and proofreading skills. The understanding that a story needs a beginning, a middle, and an end. Even short stories.
4. What motivates you to write? The fear that the people inside my brain will have their way with me if I don’t let them be heard.
5. Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? If so, what do you do about it? Rarely, but when I’m not getting what I want from my writing I try changing locations. A new view can bring new views, or something like that.
6. Do you have any advice for other writers? Learn to take notes and criticism. When you get the same note from multiple places, work on improving that issue. Write all your bad stories now so you can get to the better ones.
7. What is the message in your book? What are your readers’ reactions to it? My books are all erotica, so I’d like to think they are a celebration of human sexuality from multiple points of view. The sex in my books is sometimes complicated but always aspires to be joyful. I have had few reviews so far, but they have all been five-star good as of this interview.
8. Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? That I could do it. And that simply having that completed manuscript was an achievement that nothing and no one could take away from me.
9. What are your current/future projects? I just finished Volume 6 of my GOOD FRIEND series of short stories and Volume 0, which is a bonus free book available only at my website. I am toying with a story about a secret society of spies and assassins told from a rogue female sex assassin’s point of view. The little work I’ve done on it has all the sex with an extra heaping of violence, so I guess it will be a dark erotic romance/action story. Is there a category for that? There must be.
10. What book(s)/author(s) have influenced your life and writing? When I was in jr. high this girl used to bring her mother’s hot romance books to school. We’d read them out loud in a circle on the grass at lunch. One of the stories had a girl who got raped and then immediately after killed the guy with his own switchblade. That pretty much shaped all of it for me. I don’t really like books with rape elements just for the sake of titillation, but I’ll read sex revenge books all day long. So yeah, I don’t know the author’s name on that one. I’ve read a lot of Anne Rice since I was young goth girl also.
11. Is there any other information you want to share? I like giving my stuff away so I’m running free days on my books in Kindle each week through the middle of Sept 2017. Barring that I have a free Ebook available at my website for signing up for my newsletter (which I basically never send out. The newsletter that is. I definitely send out the Ebook). I also have selections of writing from each book posted there. Please come give it a read!
Author Website http://www.jillianhoff.com